Friday 5 June 2009

... about 1984 - The Musical!

Walt Disney's 1984. From the novel by Orson Wells. Music by Jeff Wayne.

The Future. The world is divided into three huge states: Oceania, Eastanglia, and Tesco, permanently at war with one another. In London County, Inglandcestershire, Winston Zeddmore Smith awaits trial in the Ministry of Fun.

Winston - Oh no! I'm going to be brainwashed and put in room 101! Whatever shall I do? But - wait a moment! Who's this?

Dennis - 'Allo Winston! Blimey, you look a bit down! Got a face like a thought policeman's arse, you have. Wossa problem?

Winston - Can't you see? I've be captured! I have only torture and death to look forward to!

Dennis - Ah, it's not so bad. All you've got to do is look at it right, and whistle a little tune between your big incisors that can chew right through a man's head. Just like this...

Well you've failed in your rebellion,
against a system that's Orwellian,
and the bad news is that they got hold of you alive.
You thought Julia would elope with ya,
but now the Stalinist dystopia's
not going to let you stay around for 1985.

But -
Cheer up Winston, cheer up Winston!
Why else d'you think they call it the Ministry of Fun!
Cheer up Winston, Cheer up Winston!
You might get Paul Merton's autograph when you're in room 101!
So put on a great big smile, and remember all the while,
There's still a dozen pages till the story is unfurled.
You may have lost a lover, but now you've gained a brother,
So when you look at it, it ain't the worst thing in the world.

Winston - Hey, you're right! (Singing:)

Well I took on the fist of iron,
And was brainwashed by O'Brien,
Because I didn't do all of the things I should.
My chance of survival may be brittle,
But I've got you - like Stuart Little,
And with my best friend here I'm feeling plus plus good.

They sing the chorus again. The thought police storm through the door and do a dance. O'Brien performs a solo on a rusty machine with dials. A picture of Big Brother winks. In the merriment, Julia, Winston and Dennis slip out the back door and off to frolic in the Golden Country. And so on.

2 comments: